5 Ways to Achieve Work-Life Balance
For as long as we can remember, work-life balance has been a topic of great discussion. However, it is interesting to note that in this day and age, it has become a matter that needs more attention than ever. While technology has played an indispensable role in enabling hitherto unimagined connectivity, it has successfully managed to blur the lines between work and life, as it were. With an increasing focus on doing what you love, people are picking jobs and entrepreneurial activities that they are passionate about. As good as that may sound, the race to work harder and to achieve more can take a toll on other aspects of your life.
Work-life balance isn’t simply about dedicating a fixed number of hours to work and other such slots of time to everything else (i.e. rest and recreation). The 8-hour-workday is surely passé. In that light, work-life balance is certainly about blurring the lines between work and play, but in a way that other aspects of your life (family life, social life, creative and recreational activities) can also flourish. The key to finding the ideal work-life balance is to figure out what really makes you happy and identifying the aspects of your life that need more time and the ones that could do with a little less attention.
Some things to think about for an enhanced work-life balance:
1. It’s important to do what you love: The definition of work is fast changing. Your job is no longer meant to be drudgery. We spend a large part of our lives at work. And doing some or the other kind of work is almost an inescapable reality of our lives. If you’re caught in a job that you dislike, not only will you dread the time spent at work, but all other aspects of your life will be similarly affected. To be able to breathe life into what you do, it’s important to pick a job that you’re suited for.
2. Don’t chase perfectionism: It’s easy to give into the temptation of doing your work to perfection. While perfection is a great thing, it is also extremely time-consuming. If you’re constantly chasing perfection, you’re eating into the time that you could spend on other things. It’s important to do a good job, but it’s also equally important to manage your time effectively.
3. Learn to disconnect: We live in the age of 24/7 connectivity, which is why it has become even more important to learn to disconnect with regularity. Work emails are accessible to you at all times, but it’s important to switch off for a while every now and then. However, this does not mean that you should become unaccountable or that you need not come back at a later time to attend to the tasks at hand. But when you take a break, you must entirely switch off and partake of the moment.
4. Take breaks: The idea of a break is to rejuvenate you so that you can return to your work with a fresh perspective. Before accepting a job offer, find out about the types of leave your company allows you to take. It’s important to use your time off for all kinds of things that are meaningful to you.
5. Follow a routine: It’s useful to be guided by a daily routine. Of course, this does not mean that you should be enslaved to the clock and calendar, but scheduling time for certain activities other than work is a good way to ensure a healthy work-life balance.
You may like to read this
MeraJob February 17, 2015
First day at work? Make a lasting impression!
Job interviews are stressful, but the stress doesn’t end even after you’ve been selected! What’s more intimidating is the first day at work. Whether it’s your very first job or your fifth, the first day at a new workplace is a crucial one. Because you are new, you are naturally uns...
MeraJob June 20, 2015
How to Write a CV: Resume Formats and Samples for Entry-Level and Experienced Candidates
Your CV is perhaps the only crucial document that determines whether you’ll get the job or not It is known that recruiters are swamped with growing piles of CVs for every vacancy advertised. So, how should your CV—which to the recruiter is just another piece of paper—catch the right person’...