5 Ways to Build Relationships at Work
If you are the kind of person who thinks that your work life is all about you going to work, doing your work and coming back home, then you need to think again. You may be great at your job, but there’s something very important that’s still missing.
Being at work is about much more than doing your work. You spend several waking hours on most days of the week in your office. Perhaps you spend as much time in office as you do at home, if not more. And, therefore, it’s crucial that you have strong and healthy relationships at work. Not only will this help you perform better at work, it will also add to your overall career development.
A good working relationship has several advantages:
- Your co-workers and boss will trust you. They will be more open to ideas and suggestions from you.
- Your boss will think of you every time new career opportunities come along in the company.
- Your customers, clients and other key stakeholders in the company will be happy with you and things will get done more easily.
- When working in a team, your performance will be free of hindrances such as competitiveness and jealousy, and your efforts will reap better results.
- If you have a good relationship with people at work, you will be comfortable with experimentation and exploring new opportunities at work.
A healthy working relationship entails trust, mutual respect and open communication. Just as you would expect your boss and co-workers to be open to your ideas and suggestions, you should be equally welcoming and respectful of theirs. Being honest, expressing gratitude and taking a little bit of time out to enquire about each other’s well being are also important aspects of a good relationship.
Here are 6 ways in which you can build relationships at work:
1. Develop your soft skills: Some of the key soft skills that you need to succeed in your career include your ability to connect with others. Good communication, working well in a team and conflict resolution are three important skills that are the basis for developing a good relationship with people at work.
2. Identify what you need from others: What is your idea of a good relationship? What do you value most in your relationship with your co-workers—personal space, appreciation, support, encouragement, etc.? Understanding what you really need from others can lay the foundation for building better relationships.
3. Give before you take: Before you begin to expect anything from your co-workers, make sure that you are there for them when they need you. Be attuned to the ways in which you can help and support your colleagues. At the same time, make sure you don’t cross any personal boundaries.
4. Express appreciation and gratitude: Always appreciate a job done well. Everyone likes being appreciated for the work they do. A genuine compliment is a great way to build a positive working relationship. Also, always remember to say thank you every time someone helps you.
5. Always be positive: A positive attitude is often underrated. A cheerful and positive person is someone we all want to be around. Always maintain your calm and a positive attitude even in challenging situations.
6. Avoid gossip: Make it a point to never indulge in office politics and never gossip about your co-workers. This can sometimes turn out to be more harmful than you can imagine.
Setting aside as little as five minutes a day to do some of the aforementioned things can go a long way in strengthening your relationships at work. Strong working relationships are essential for a successful career.
Looking for a job you will love? Register with MeraJob.in today.
You may like to read this
MeraJob September 9, 2014
How to overcome your Interview Nervousness
Your stomach begins to churn, Your palms sweat profusely, your mouth goes dry, and your voice begins to shake... aur yeh sab tab hota hai jab aap apne aane waley interview ke barey mein sochtey hain. We all get nervous before an interview. If you face interview nervousness , here are some ways to ke...
Ashu Bajaj October 8, 2015
Kya Aap Apni English Improve Karna Chahte hai?
Improving English skills not only increases your chance towards a better career, it helps in your personal development outside the workspace as well. English has been an international language for a long time, making it an important requirement for getting employed no matter what part of the world ...