5 Ways to Improve Your English
When trying to improve your English, there are five aspects that you should focus on: grammar, spelling, vocabulary (words, phrases, proverbs, etc.), pronunciation and diction.
In addition to improving your language skills, it is equally important to improve your communication skills. Even the perfected knowledge of language skills is not of much use if one cannot communicate clearly and effectively. Good communication is all about getting your thoughts and ideas across in a comprehensive and simple manner.
Here are some tips that that can help you improve you both your language skills as well as your communication skills.
1. Read more: Obvious as it may sound, we need to revive the reading habit. Whether it is the newspaper or a novel, the more you read, the better your English will get. Reading regularly is one of the best ways to improve your grammar, vocabulary and spelling.
2. Listen carefully: Listening to others speak will help you improve your language and will allow you to improve your pronunciation and diction. Watching YouTube videos, the news or even TV shows in English is also a great way to understanding and speaking the language better.
3. Speak slowly and clearly: There is never any advantage to speaking fast. In fact, when we speak hastily, people don’t understand what we’re saying. To improve your diction, it is best to speak slowly. And when we speak slowly, we certainly speak more clearly.
4. Learn phrases and sentences: Apart from learning words and their meanings, try to learn phrases (to be used as a part of complete sentences) and sentences. This will not only help you understand the meaning of new words better, but it will also give you the opportunity to use them more often. Learning phrases and sentences also gives you a sense of correct grammatical structures.
5 Phrases You Can Use
How often do you…?
(Example: How often do you travel for work?)
What are the chances that…?
(Example: What are the chances that this will lead to a promotion?)
It looks like…
(Example: It looks like it is going to be a challenging project.)
Please make sure that…
(Example: Please make sure that all the documents are in place.)
It’s very kind of you to…
(Example: It’s very kind of you to help me out with this.)
5. Practice: There is no limit to learning a language. Set a couple of goals for yourself everyday; learn a few new words and sentences, have a few conversations in English, and continue to read. Another useful way of improving your verbal skills is to record your conversations in English and then listen to them later to see how you have fared.
Having a good command over the English language, both written and spoken, is the first step in being a good communicator and the biggest advantage you could have over other prospective candidates for a job.
You may like to read this
MeraJob April 17, 2015
10 successful traits of a Field Sales Executive
John was confused, whether he should apply for the job of field sales executive in a marketing company or look for a desk job. He spoke to his friend Ranjan, and told him that, he is not aware about the merits & demerits of a field sales job. Also he does not know what the traits of a successful...
MeraJob November 13, 2015
This Diwali, gift yourself a new Career!
For most of us, the festival of Diwali is an excellent occasion to make auspicious beginnings. And what can be more auspicious than embarking upon a new career with the beginning of the new year. Traditionally, Diwali is the time when not only households but even businesses launch fresh initiativ...