5 Ways to Improve Your English
When trying to improve your English, there are five aspects that you should focus on: grammar, spelling, vocabulary (words, phrases, proverbs, etc.), pronunciation and diction.
In addition to improving your language skills, it is equally important to improve your communication skills. Even the perfected knowledge of language skills is not of much use if one cannot communicate clearly and effectively. Good communication is all about getting your thoughts and ideas across in a comprehensive and simple manner.
Here are some tips that that can help you improve you both your language skills as well as your communication skills.
1. Read more: Obvious as it may sound, we need to revive the reading habit. Whether it is the newspaper or a novel, the more you read, the better your English will get. Reading regularly is one of the best ways to improve your grammar, vocabulary and spelling.
2. Listen carefully: Listening to others speak will help you improve your language and will allow you to improve your pronunciation and diction. Watching YouTube videos, the news or even TV shows in English is also a great way to understanding and speaking the language better.
3. Speak slowly and clearly: There is never any advantage to speaking fast. In fact, when we speak hastily, people don’t understand what we’re saying. To improve your diction, it is best to speak slowly. And when we speak slowly, we certainly speak more clearly.
4. Learn phrases and sentences: Apart from learning words and their meanings, try to learn phrases (to be used as a part of complete sentences) and sentences. This will not only help you understand the meaning of new words better, but it will also give you the opportunity to use them more often. Learning phrases and sentences also gives you a sense of correct grammatical structures.
5 Phrases You Can Use
How often do you…?
(Example: How often do you travel for work?)
What are the chances that…?
(Example: What are the chances that this will lead to a promotion?)
It looks like…
(Example: It looks like it is going to be a challenging project.)
Please make sure that…
(Example: Please make sure that all the documents are in place.)
It’s very kind of you to…
(Example: It’s very kind of you to help me out with this.)
5. Practice: There is no limit to learning a language. Set a couple of goals for yourself everyday; learn a few new words and sentences, have a few conversations in English, and continue to read. Another useful way of improving your verbal skills is to record your conversations in English and then listen to them later to see how you have fared.
Having a good command over the English language, both written and spoken, is the first step in being a good communicator and the biggest advantage you could have over other prospective candidates for a job.
You may like to read this
MeraJob April 14, 2015
The Complete Job Interview Guide
An interview for a job that you really want is an important occasion. And it’s only understandable that you would want to be prepared for it in every possible way. Here is a comprehensive guide to help you tackle any job interview. 1. Dress appropriately This does not always mean that you we...
MeraJob November 23, 2015
How MeraJob helps everyone get Better Lives…from office boy to Backend Operations Executive
Where there is will, there is a way...Story of Mohan- from Office Boy to Backend Operations Executive Not always one needs to read the life journey of celebrities for inspiration. Sometimes, we just need to look around. At MeraJob.in we found that inspiration in form of Mohan. Mohan joined MeraJob....