6 Career Tips You Need To Stand Out At Work
Every person who has spent long enough in a job knows that working hard and doing everything the boss asks of them is never enough to make their career shine. You need to do much more in order to stand out from the crowd.
- Know the goals and priorities of the organization– There is little doubt that people who want to advance their careers must focus on what will make them reach their ultimate goals. However, you are working in an organization that has a vision, a mission, and goals. This being said, the priority of the organization is to achieve its objectives first and only then does everything else follow. An employee who understands this early enough will understand what the organization wants and then look into their ‘traits reserve’ and see how best these traits can overlap with the goals of the organization. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a promotion and advancing your career.
- Be a team player– Build strong connections throughout your workplace. Where you can lend a hand, do so without expecting anything in return. This is not to say that there are times that co-workers won’t really get on your nerves, but team players learn to take everything in their stride.
- Identify your calling and follow it– This might sound like a broken record playing, but you stand the best chance at excelling only if you focus on what you’re good at. At the workplace, there are definitely a million and one things that you are supposed to do. However, you must have realized there are some things that you are good at and obviously love. It is on those areas that you should look to improve.
- Get to know what your leaders want– Try to understand what the leaders in your organization want from their employees. Seek to understand what qualities they are looking for in certain jobs, especially in the more senior positions. This will call for you to have good relations with your bosses. While doing this, be careful to do it in a professional way so as not to jeopardize your career.
Related: How to get a Good Performance Appraisal
- Do more than the basic requirement– While your hard work might go unnoticed initially, it happens more often than not that it will eventually be recognized and appreciated. Cover your profile’s duties and then cover some more. Of course, you are doing this while mastering other attributes that are aligning your achievements with what the organization wants in a leader.
- Help others succeed– This might be mistaken for team player, but it is quite different in that you should do everything within your power to make your colleague shine. If there is a trick you can share with the receptionist so that her job becomes easier and she becomes more effective, she will definitely love you more for this. When you submit exceptional reports to your line manager that helps him shine in management meetings, even though you might get recognition, your manager will seriously look into your interests when the time comes.
The time has come for us to change the way we look at our jobs. Just having a job is no longer enough. It is important to find a job that matches your skills and preferencesand gives you the chance to grow.
Related: 6 Soft Skills for Career Success
You may like to read this
MeraJob December 3, 2016
5 Things You Must Do to Crack the IIT-JEE Exam
IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) has remained a prestigious institution for learning and engineering technology for several decades. And, therefore, it is no surprise that the IIT-JEE exam is one of the toughest entrance exams to clear. Once you crack the IIT-JEE exam and get admission into any ...
MeraJob July 27, 2015
Gaps in your employment history ? Here’s how to write your CV
It has become increasingly common for people to take time off between jobs for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes, you may just need a break. Or there may be other responsibilities to take care of. And sometimes, it takes a while before you get the next job. However, when you start looking for your nex...