6 Surefire Ways To Stay Motivated At Work
To get ourselves to do just about anything, we need motivation. Even to get us out of bed every morning, it’s motivation that we need. We’re looking for inspiration everywhere and all the time—in people, in activities, in quotes, movies and books, and yet it doesn’t seem to stick.
It is no surprise that the one thing that we need to feel most motivated about is our work. Being motivated at work is far from easy. Work is commonly looked upon as drudgery—as that thing that must be done, morning to night, every single day for years and years of our lives.
So, how do we help this situation and find ways to stay motivated at work?
The key to feeling motivated, though, is to accept that it will only come from within. Here are 6 surefire ways that can help you tap into that reservoir of motivation that resides within you.
1. Identify your goals—short term and long term: The need for a goal is indispensable. Whether it is at the end of the day or at the end of the year, find something that you believe in and want to accomplish. If you can envision your goal, you will find it easier to work towards it.
2. Balance work and life: A good work-life balance helps you enrich not only your career goals but also your life goals. To stay motivated at work, you’ll need to be passionate about the other things that you choose to do in life. Reading, playing music, exercising, etc. are some of the ways in which you can channelize your energies.
3. Build relationships with co-workers: Recent research indicates that nurturing healthy relationships at work are important to determine your love for your job and can directly influence your productivity. Befriend your colleagues, and you’ll see the motivation kick in.
Related: Do you love your co-workers?
4. Reward yourself: Don’t wait too long to reward yourself. For every hour of work, give yourself 10 minutes off to do something that makes you happy. For every day of work, treat yourself to something nice. Every time you accomplish something—big or small—remember to pat yourself on the back.
5. Organise your life: Before you welcome motivation, you will need to create some space for it. From maintaining a neat and organised desk to effective time management, it’s important for you to be in control of how you spend your time and how you do your work.
Related: How to find your dream job
6. Value the work that you do: Choose a job that you love, and find meaning in what you do. Motivation comes in small daily doses and it is that which you need to find every single day. When you value your job (and the end results of the work you do), you’ll find yourself feeling motivated like never before.
To find a job that matches your skills and preferences, create your SmartProfile™ today.
You may like to read this
Aditi Dewra July 17, 2014
Recipe for a Successful Interview
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime" In this blog piece, I am not going to talk about a job vacancy but techniques to improve your chances of having a successful interview. In essence, I want to teach you to fish rather than give you a fish. ...
Ashu Bajaj July 8, 2015
Indian Companies shifting focus on Gender Balance
A Gender-Diverse workforce permits an Organization to serve an increasingly diverse Client Base As per a study done by economists based on statistics by Confederation of Indian Industry in 2011, Women’s participation in the workforce was lowest in India among the BRICS nations. The Workforce Part...