7 Ridiculous Job Interview Mistakes to Avoid
We have discussed before what a good job interview looks like. We have also discussed how to avoid common job interview mistakes. Many of our readers have given us positive feedback on how our self-improvement section has helped them in securing a job through a good interview.
Recently, we came across some strange ways in which candidates have messed up their interviews. While these are not common mistakes, they should be avoided at all costs.
As reported by recruiters, here are some ridiculous ways in which people have messed up and surprised interviewers:
- Flushing the toilet: A candidate while giving a telephonic interview used the toilet and flushed during the call. The sound of the flush was clear on the other side and the candidate did not get the job.
- Singing: A candidate answered all the questions in her interview through singing. Obviously, the interviewer was not pleased as singing had nothing to do with the job requirements.
- Fortune telling: A candidate tried to read the interviewer’s palm despite the interviewer telling him not to. He further went on tell him that his main job was that of a fortune teller.
- Speaking of the wife: During an interview, when the employer asked the candidate why he wanted the job, the candidate said that his wife wanted him to get a job.
- Stating hobbies: In an interview for a data entry executive’s post, the candidate was asked what her favourite kind of job was. She replied that it was “working in a tattoo shop”.
- Screaming: One candidate was not selected because she started shouting during the interview that it was taking too long.
- Stealing: A candidate was caught stealing stationery from the interviewer’s desk when he went out to take a printout.
There may be many other surprising ways people have botched up their interviews. Try to avoid any strange behaviour during interviews.
To sum up all such strange behaviour, here are five things to avoid if you don’t want to ruin your interview:
- Don’t lie or exaggerate
- Don’t speak in an arrogant manner
- Don’t use abusive language
- Don’t answer phone calls during the interview
- Don’t dress too casually
For more such tips and matching job offers, register with MeraJob.in.
You may like to read this
MeraJob January 9, 2015
Diary of a Job-Seeker- Final Episode
Veni , Vidi, Vici When Julius Caeser won battle of Zela he sent a letter to Roman senate that read Veni (I came), Vidi (I saw), Vici (I conquered) and in my context I won the battle of interview process. I prepared well, I attended the interview and I conquered the job. Yes, I am finally going to...
MeraJob October 5, 2015
Email Etiquette: 12 Simple Rules
In this day and age, email is perhaps the most important form of business communication. There is very little that you can do without having to receive and send a few emails a day. Here are 12 rules of email etiquette that you must keep in mind so that your emails are professional and promising - ...