7 Ridiculous Job Interview Mistakes to Avoid
We have discussed before what a good job interview looks like. We have also discussed how to avoid common job interview mistakes. Many of our readers have given us positive feedback on how our self-improvement section has helped them in securing a job through a good interview.
Recently, we came across some strange ways in which candidates have messed up their interviews. While these are not common mistakes, they should be avoided at all costs.
As reported by recruiters, here are some ridiculous ways in which people have messed up and surprised interviewers:
- Flushing the toilet: A candidate while giving a telephonic interview used the toilet and flushed during the call. The sound of the flush was clear on the other side and the candidate did not get the job.
- Singing: A candidate answered all the questions in her interview through singing. Obviously, the interviewer was not pleased as singing had nothing to do with the job requirements.
- Fortune telling: A candidate tried to read the interviewer’s palm despite the interviewer telling him not to. He further went on tell him that his main job was that of a fortune teller.
- Speaking of the wife: During an interview, when the employer asked the candidate why he wanted the job, the candidate said that his wife wanted him to get a job.
- Stating hobbies: In an interview for a data entry executive’s post, the candidate was asked what her favourite kind of job was. She replied that it was “working in a tattoo shop”.
- Screaming: One candidate was not selected because she started shouting during the interview that it was taking too long.
- Stealing: A candidate was caught stealing stationery from the interviewer’s desk when he went out to take a printout.
There may be many other surprising ways people have botched up their interviews. Try to avoid any strange behaviour during interviews.
To sum up all such strange behaviour, here are five things to avoid if you don’t want to ruin your interview:
- Don’t lie or exaggerate
- Don’t speak in an arrogant manner
- Don’t use abusive language
- Don’t answer phone calls during the interview
- Don’t dress too casually
For more such tips and matching job offers, register with MeraJob.in.
You may like to read this
MeraJob March 30, 2016
141 Powerful Words To Use During An Interview
"No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world." - Robin Williams The intelligent use of words is very important to keep your listeners engaged. Words allow you to influence your listeners and readers. Being able to use words effectively leaves a good impression while not b...
MeraJob April 14, 2016
Why recruiters aren’t interested in your CV
It is a trend well known that recruiters spend no longer than a few seconds looking at your resume. Now, those few seconds are never quite enough to tell the recruiter about you. In the scenario where hiring managers are swamped with thousands of CVs for every job opening advertised, it is very like...