How do you choose what to Read?
In our article titled ‘Do you Read?’, we had discussed the importance of reading and provided some insights on how it improves your English. In this article, we will be focussing on improving our English reading skills and improving the overall understanding of English through reading.
Here are some pointers to keep in mind:
1. Make your own choice: Reading is an essential and the common activity towards improving English. To make things productive, make your own choice regarding the kind of medium you will use for your reading activity. Some common ones are
- Digital text like blogs, e-books, e-zines etc.
Select the medium which you are most comfortable and if you have no previous experience with any, start with reading newspapers on a daily basis.
Related: 5 Ways to Improve Your English
2. Try not to limit yourself to a single medium: Select one of the mediums and focus on it to improve your reading skills. But don’t let this one medium be the source of your reading forever. When things start getting boring or easy, try to read other things. Even if you start with books, introduce yourself to difficult books once you become a regular reader.
3. Read about things that interest you: If you find reading boring and it is difficult to even start this, try matching your interests to the topics you read. A football fan? Try to follow a blog with football updates like soccerlens.com and espnfc.com. Similarly, match anything that you find very interesting with your reading habits. Start with them and allow your reading habits to grow eventually.
4. Flow: Read for getting a general idea of how sentences are structured. Don’t focus too much on understanding each and every new word while reading. There is always time to go back and look up the new words you come across.
5. Utilize your internet time: Develop a habit of looking over Wikipedia or news articles for topics you found out about while social networking. You can always take out few minutes here and there to read about things during long periods of social networking.
6. Quora/Wikipedia: Visit Wikipedia to read about things you are curious about, it has information regarding everything. Build an account on Quora if you use social networks extensively. Quora can be used as an easy first step to develop reading habits.
7. Weekends: Take out an hour of your time on weekends and dedicate it to reading. If you have a busy schedule, carry your reading material with yourself and read whenever there is time.
8. 15 minutes: Whether it is in the morning right after you wake up or in the night right before going to bed, take out at least fifteen minutes on a daily basis to read something. If you have nothing to read for a particular day, there is always the newspaper.
9. Meet other readers: Join online communities and forums that promote reading or books. Meet other learners and readers and share your experiences with them. Knowing that there are other people who are trying to develop reading habits or are avid readers will keep you motivated to continue your own reading habits.
10. Don’t force it: Don’t forcefully read just for the sake of it when you are not in the mood or had a hectic day. This will result in nothing productive and use your time. Instead use another time to read what you missed out. But don’t let this suggestion turn into a regular excuse to postpone reading forever.
MeraJob.in wishes you Happy Reading
You may like to read this
Ashu Bajaj July 17, 2015
Matching Job Creation with Industry Demand is the key to end Unemployment – Skill India Campaign
“I believe Indian youth has immense talent, they just want opportunities,"- PM Narendra Modi The launch of Skill India campaign on the first World Youth Skills Day (July 15, 2015) by the PM Narendra Modi is one big step towards empowering the large population of youth in India. Today, m...
MeraJob March 26, 2016
How to Get A Good Performance Appraisal
It is that time of the year again—the time for performance appraisals. Appraisals matter a great deal in every employee’s career. A good performance appraisal does not only recognize and validate your efforts at work, but it gives you the opportunity to ask for a good raise at the end of the yea...