How to Dress for a Job Interview
When looking for a new job, there is nothing quite as important as creating the right first impression during your job interview.
In addition to your skills, qualifications and experiences, your body language and attire make a huge difference. If you get your attire wrong, it can alone be enough to work against your application.
Here are some guidelines on how to dress for a job interview:
– Find out a little about the company and its work culture before picking your outfit for the job interview.
– Never be too casually dressed, even if the company seems to be accepting of it.
– To be on the safe side, always pick formal or semi-formal attire for your interview.
Formal Dress Code for Women:
Should you wear ethnic formals or western formals?
Most companies in India are accepting of both Indian formals and western formals in the job interview. Therefore, it is important for you to choose what you are most comfortable wearing.
If you choose Indian formals, then keep the following in mind:
– Try choosing a cotton salwar kamaaz or saree in a light pastel shade for the summertime. In the winter, you can opt for a silk outfit in richer colours such as navy blue or burgundy.
– Avoid loud colours, embellishments or too much embroidery on your outfit.
– Avoid low-cut necklines and fancily tailored designs.
– Stick to solid colours and simple designs for the most part.
If you are more comfortable in western formals, here’s what to keep in mind:
– Go for a clean and crisp blouse in a light colour such a white, pale blue or light pink.
– Pair the blouse with a pair of well-ironed formal trousers in a darker colour such as black, grey or navy blue.
– You could also choose to wear a well-tailored knee-length skirt.
– In the winter, you can wear a blazer, a pullover in a solid colour, or a traditional business suit.
Some other things to keep in mind:
– Avoid wearing too much makeup. Use the bare minimum to make yourself look presentable.
– Avoid using overpowering fragrances.
– Don’t pick uncomfortable footwear. If you choose to wear heels, make sure that you can walk in them easily and that they don’t make too much noise.
Formal Dress Code for Men:
– A plain light coloured formal shirt with a tie is the most widely accepted outfit for men.
– Pair the shirt and tie with trousers in a dark colour (black/grey/navy blue). Make sure that the trousers are plain, well-ironed (should not have any creases) and solid (no design, embroidery, etc.).
– In the winter, you can opt for a conservative business suit or a blazer in a dark, solid colour (black/grey/navy blue). The suit/blazer should not be flashy or embroidered.
– The tie should be simple and ironed. It should ideally complement the colour of your shirt or the suit.
Some other things to keep in mind:
– Avoid wearing jeans, t-shirts and shorts.
– Make sure that your shirt is tucked into your pants.
– All your clothes should be clean and neatly ironed.
– Your shoes should be clean and well-polished.
– Your hair should be clean and neat.
– You should preferably be clean-shaven, otherwise you must keep your beard neat and tame.
Other things to keep in mind:
– Pick natural fabrics (such as cotton and silk) over synthetic ones.
– Make sure your clothes are cleaned and ironed the night before the interview.
– Keep your nails trimmed and cleaned.
– Always brush your teeth and comb your hair before the interview.
– Your hair should be neatly and simply styled.
– Make sure your shoes are clean and polished.
– Use a deodorant and/or perfume to prevent any body odour.
– Avoid wearing sneakers, noisy shoes or high heels.
– Don’t walk in while chewing gum or munching on food.
– Always make sure to smile.
Looking for a job you love? Create your SmartProfile™ and find jobs that match your skills and preferences.
You may like to read this
MeraJob April 22, 2016
Succeed in Your Career: The Sachin Way
"It is hard to imagine any player in the history of the game who combines classical technique with raw aggression like the little champion does." - Sunil Gavaskar Considered a legend not only in his homeland but all over the world, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar was born on 24th April in the year 1973. ...
MeraJob September 12, 2016
Where Can I Find A Government Job?
For many jobseekers in the Indian job market today, one of the most commonly asked questions is Where can I find a government job?. The job security that typically accompanies a government job is often unmatched by other kinds of jobs. Additionally, the perks and benefits that come with a ...