9 Basic Skills Your Employee Should Have
While the following skills will read as very “basic”, recruiters often complain that employees fall short on many of these counts.
These 9 skills are useful across most employment sectors and industries. When looking to hire, look out for the following essential skills in candidates. If the candidate has demonstrated such skills in his/her previous jobs, then he/she is bound to be a good hire.
1. Communication: Basic language skills—both verbal and written—are essential for all kinds of jobs. Employees must be able to write and speak clearly and effectively, if not perfectly.
2. Computer: In most jobs, it is expected that employees have basic computer processing skills and are familiar with introductory word, spreadsheet and presentation.
3. Customer Service: The services industry continues to grow and most of the jobs being created today are customer-oriented. For the employee to have a good sense of customer service is essential. This includes greeting customers courteously, being attentive, responding in time, etc.
4. Learning: With the advent of information technology and social media, the dynamics of every workplace are changing. Employees must be open to learning a variety of new skills from various sources to continue to work effectively.
5. Basic Math: Basic computational skills, the knowledge of basic statistics and knowing how to read basic data is crucial to every kind of job.
6. Organisation: Employees should be able to organise, plan and schedule their work on a regular basis so that they do not forget or overlook important and urgent tasks.
7. Problem Solving: Regardless of the role, every employee should be able to do some critical thinking, reasoning and problem solving.
8. Research and Information Gathering: This is connected with many of the aforementioned skills. To be able to look up the Internet to troubleshoot existing problems, or to collect data for the purpose of a project, are skills that every employee should have.
9. Teamwork: No matter what the job is, where it is and what it entails, there is likely to be a team working on it. Employees must be able to work harmoniously and productively with co-workers and clients.
Over time, the list of essential skills will change as workplaces continue to evolve. In the current scenario, these are the 9 basic skills every employee should have.
An intelligent hiring decision is necessarily based on assessing the candidate’s skills. The traditional CV fails to capture the candidates’ skills, hands-on expertise and other past experiences relevant to the job, but the candidate’s SmartProfile™ allows you to access these key details.
To hire pre-screened candidates at ½ the cost and in ½ the time, register with MeraJob.in.
You may like to read this
MeraJob June 22, 2016
9 Disruptive Ideas to Improve Quality of Hire
Despite the great technological advancements in the field of recruitment, its core has still remained the same: Employers need to hire, but have very few options that are available. Either they advertise on job boards, ask their employees for referrals, ask a recruiter to find a candidate or outsour...
MeraJob May 9, 2016
Hiring Lessons from the Who’s Who of Business
We all have our hiring problems. They could stem from almost anything: Less number of qualified people; if they are qualified, then they don’t have the right attitude; fantastic CV but not a great culture fit and so on. So, how do the big giants like Facebook, Amazon, the Mahindras etc. ...